Well, I finally finished carving and engraving my first batch of styrofoam tombstones. I used stencils that I made with my wife's Cricut machine for the lettering. All of the detailing was done with a soldering iron. Some very minimal shaping was done with a hacksaw blade. Each of these tombstones is named for each of my four kids.
This tombstone reads: Samuel (our oldest son) and then: Sam Bones (his nickname because of how freakishly skinny he is). His cause of death is listed as: wasted away. The skull detail was made by cutting the back from a Great Stuff foam skull that I had laying around. I attached it with some hot glue. The shaping around the skull was done with a hacksaw blade.
This tombstone reads: Abigail (our oldest daughter) and then: Abbiecadabra (this seemed almost too cute; but I went with it anyway). Her cause of death is listed as: burned at the stake (duh). The pentagram detail was just one that I found with a Google image search for pentagram. I pretty much just free handed it with a Sharpie and then engraved it with a soldering iron.
This tombstone reads: Noah (our youngest son) and then: Noah Constrictor (this was his nickname when he was a toddler because he was a major hugger. He liked to get his arms around you and just squeeze as tight as he could). His cause of death is listed as: stuffed and mounted (bummer). The snake detail is based loosely on the logo for the TV show Millennium. I did quite a bit of detail work with the soldering iron trying to get the snake to look more three dimensional. It should really pop out after it is painted. Again I did a little shaping in the center with a hacksaw blade.
This tombstone reads: Emma (our youngest daughter) and then: Emma Sue The Littlest Zombie (I know it's a mouthful; but trust me, it fits her). Her cause of death is listed as: her fate is unknown. This was the simplest design out of all four tombstones. I just did a Google image search for girl silhouette. All the detail work was done with a soldering iron.
These tombstones will get a coat or two of Dry-Lok and then a nice paint job (hopefully this week).